Thursday, May 28, 2009

Is Twittering a new verb?

I realize it’s the new craze to join Twitter (software – noun) and Tweet (posting – verb), but what is Twittering. When –ing is added to the end of verbs they become present participles (University Writing Center). The answer to my question is technically no, twittering would be a present participle as a progressive verb. This is the end of my English lesson today please leave a few coins on the way out.

Actually, the reason I brought this up is I was browsing some top blogs for writers and many suggest you follow them on Twitter. If you look on the right side of my blog under Favorite Sites, you’ll see that I did join Twitter, although the excitement hasn’t caught on for me. I joined to give my blog more exposure and to follow some celebrities, but honestly I’m just not interested in reading insignificant flashes of someone’s life or maybe I don’t understand it. I work in the age of technology, which is my profession and the reason regarding my impatience with online reading. After being on a computer all day, and going home to write (on my computer) the thought of reading small insignificant snippets isn’t appealing. I enjoy reading a blog or an article, however I’d rather print the article and read on the train.

So where do these new fads leave someone like me? Will I miss out on something spectacular for not having a Facebook or MySpace account, and slacking on my tweets? Will these technological forms of communication completely wipe out written letters and phone calls? Do you think they’ll become law like Digital Cable?

What about you? Do you have a Twitter, Facebook, or MySpace account, and if so, how do you utilize them?

4 comments:

  1. No, I don't have Twitter, FB or MySpace. Twitter just seems to be uncensored thoughts which belong in the head and not for the world to see. I really don't care about random thoughts (except for our weatherman who tweets a one line forecast). Blogs definitely are more interesting and thought provoking, where it seems real connections are made. PLUS, who has time? Not me, I'm all tapped out with my allotted 24 hours in a day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joanne, now I don't feel like the lonely one. I'm with you on blogs they offer more.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No accounts. Blogs enough for me.

    On the recent news they said the Pope has joined Facebook to also reach out to those people who use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like yourself I too just joined Twitter to advertise, and that is all I do advertise my blog entries. I am on Facebook, and even though feel impersonal I find it ok to remain connected, but detached. I don't have any information on my page, just a few pictures is enough. The rest I use it like Twitter to advertise blog. I have made some new friends on Facebook from various parts of the world, which is nice. It is another connective means, and I'll leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete