Sunday, May 16, 2010

Why Do I Love You?


How Do I Love Thee?

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, -- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! -- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.


Elizabeth Barrett Browning



Why Do I Love You?

Why do I love you?  For you often slip away. 
I love you with each piece of core I possess
Impregnated by your attention and precious caress
Though poignantly cry when ‘us’ gets delayed.
I love you like an angel’s kiss before sleep
bringing dreams to life, and wakening amid hope
to another day of obstacles, yet comfort to cope
through our separation moving towards complete.
I love you openly, as a book reveals its true worth,
comforted by words, move forward toward a gentle soul
who I will love even after I become part of this earth.
I’ll fight to the depths of this world to reach my goal,
In keeping the man I’ve searched for since birth,
hold hands towards the Pearly Gates in our final stroll.

Bea Sempere


5 comments:

  1. "Impregnated by your attention and precious caress"

    beautiful! Lovely poem Bea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Hinny. That is one of my favorite lines too. I appreciate you reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the idea of presenting a side by side view of the two works together. Very nice poem! Thanks Bea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyable well written poem :)
    I love your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Veejay! I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. Nice to see you.

    Hello Short Poems! Thank you so much for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete