Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Old Stoic

I’ve recently wrote a short story and somehow worked Emily Bronte into it. Wuthering Heights was always a favorite classic of mine, so I’m guessing that’s how she found her way into the story. In doing some research for my story titled, Lost Summer, I read several poems of Emily Bronte’s that I’ve never read before. Here is one of her poems, published in 1846, under her nom de plume (pen name), Ellis Bell.

The Old Stoic

Riches I hold in light esteem,
And Love I laugh to scorn;
And lust of fame was but a dream,
That vanished with the morn:

And if I pray, the only prayer
That moves my lips for me
Is, "Leave the heart that now I bear,
And give me liberty!"

Yes, as my swift days near their goal:
'Tis all that I implore ;
In life and death a chainless soul,
With courage to endure.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh! Congrats on your short!! Enjoyed the poem muchly as well!

    Hope you're having a great one, Bea!

    happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks much, Kara.

    Had a great day. Wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a Kindle for my birthday and have downloaded many of the classics (for free :D), and the Bronte sisters are among the list of authors I hope to read in the next few months. Sadly, along with Shakespeare, there are too many greats I've never read (Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, etc.).

    Are you planning to publish your short story? How neat to incorporate one of the classic authors. Sounds intriguing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb, I don't know about publishing my short story. It's only about 7,000 words, so I think that's considered a short, short story. Anyways, I was going to enter it into a contest. Lately, I've been entering my works into contests, but I haven't won yet. *sighs* Oh well...tough times of a writer.

    ReplyDelete