Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Weather or Not It’s Funneling


I’ve recently finished reading The Stormchasers by Jenna Blum, and whether or not you’ve experienced a tornado, this book gives you an understanding of the devastation it brings. Timing plays a role in connecting with a book, and this one twisted with the tornadoes that recently swept across the country. This novel isn’t only about the weather; it’s also about twins struggling with their own identities.

Karena Jorge, a writer for the Minneapolis Ledger feels a hole in her life since separated from her twin, Charles for twenty-years. So it’s no surprise Karena decides to find him after receiving a call from a medical center in Wichita, Kansas. Charles suffered a panic attack, but his sickness is deeper. He is bi-polar, which drove a wedge between the twins. As Charles describes it, “And they tip me off Into the Black. That’s this tarry, oozy place that traps me and holds me while my brain is raked over and over with a comb made of knives…Everything hurts from the inside out. But I can’t move. That’s Into the Black.”

Since she has failed to find him all these years, Karena is determined to this time and joins an adventure of a lifetime—chasing. During her chasing time, she falls in love and finally finds Charles, which reignites their whirlwind relationship. Like tornadoes, Charles spins out of control when he’s Into the Black, and most of the damage hits Karena. Being reunited again forces them to face who they are and the secret they buried years ago.

If you’re looking for a summer read, I recommend The Stormchasers by Jenna Blum.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a cool story. May have to hit it when I whittle away at my TBR pile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It mostly takes place in Minnesota.

    I hear ya about the TBR pile. I have a TBR shelf that gets bigger with time.

    ReplyDelete