Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I’ve Got the Style Like Chuckie

Summer is here, I’m working on my new WIP and as I was going through my bookmarked creative websites, I came across this one called “I Write Like”. If you copy and paste a writing sample of your work, it analyzes the style and compares it to a famous writer. Of course it’s just for fun. The one thing I noticed is I needed to use more than one paragraph to get a good comparison, so I put in an entire page of my books. What’s interesting is that I write like a few authors, and on top of that, there’s a connection between the two of them.

I plugged in the first chapter of my dark, psychological suspense Net Switch, and it seems my writing is comparable to

I write like
Bram Stoker
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!


When I plugged in the first page of my new novel, Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Sarcasm (working title), it states that I write like

I write like
Chuck Palahniuk
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!


For those who don’t know, Bram Stoker is known for his 1897 novel Dracula, and Chuck Palahniuk is known for his 1996 novel Fight Club. I don’t know much about either one of these authors. Horror isn’t my genre, so I never read Dracula. I’ve also never read a story by Chuck Palahniuk. I find it intriguing that my writing style (yes it’s just for fun) is comparable to two authors I haven't read and a genre I don’t write in.

I went online to see if there are any similarities between Stoker and Palahniuk. It seems there is a Bram Stoker Award given for excellent achievement in horror writing. Chuck Palahniuk was nominated twice for this award—the first for Lullaby in 2002 and then Haunted in 2005.

Even though I did this only for entertainment value, I learned a little about the writers I Write Like.

Who do you write like?

Style and Fame,
Bea

5 comments:

  1. I mst try that site... It sounds like fun! Always good to spend some time doing fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, If you do try, I'd love to hear who you write like. We need to fit in fun time between all the serious stuff. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Denise, That looks like a fun test, and I shall try it. On another matter, I'm still reading and almost completed your book "Net Switch" and will post my review on Amazon. I'll also look you up on Good Reads.

    Denise, you were an inspirationg and wonderful helper to get me going.

    Gracias,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John, Thanks so much. I really appreciate that you bought, read and are going to write a review. It means so much to me.

    I'm glad I could help you out, John. Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete