Monday, November 12, 2012

U.S. Veterans



For my Uncle John, a Navy Man, and to all those past and present, I salute you. 



I saw you from a distance
Sitting there in your fatigues

Hands clamped to hold your chin up
Eyes closed to shut out all the rest

It was then I began to wonder
What it felt like to be a soldier?

Coming home after a long time passed
With only a duffel bag at your feet

Do you feel alone in this world
‘cuz chaos hasn’t left your sight?

Am I oblivious to what is out there
‘cuz you kept immediate danger away?

Finally you opened your eyes to us
And my questions were answered

Part of you sits waiting for your flight
while war imprisoned the rest

Not sure whether you surrendered it
Or it took without your consent

Back on Freedom soil to continue on
Part of you that still remains strong

My hand on your shoulder you look up
Have I said, “Thank you for your sacrifice”

Words seem hollow compared to your actions
All I can offer are these simple things

You look at me and smile with a nod
For starters, it is good to help with the mend

Veterans and War,
Bea

No comments:

Post a Comment