Monday, February 25, 2013

Can’t Get Enough!



Have you ever come across a food or drink that you couldn’t get enough of? You can’t stop thinking about how great it is, and now you want to fill your cabinets and/or refrigerator with it? I have recently come across Barcelino wine and I want a cellar full of it. I’m not a wine connoisseur, but I know what I like ... and I already have a few bottles for my bottle tree.

Barcelino Criado en Barrica 2010 is a Spanish wine made in the Catalunya region. Barcelona is the capital of Catalonia and the central location for the Catalan wine industry. Lucky for me, my in-laws live in Spain and are a ½ hour from the Mediterranean Sea and about 2-1/2 hours from Barcelona. After several visits there, I think I appreciate the wine more knowing where the grapes are grown. With the beauty of the Pyrenees Mountains, the Mediterranean Sea, and the lifestyle of the Catalan people, it’s not a surprise such a great wine was produced in this region.

I hadn’t come across this wine prior to my first visit to Barcelona. The wonderful attraction and beauty of Barcelona captured my attention. I love this wine, which has a burst of fruits and tapers off into a soft finish. The wine was a surprise much like its capital. The first time we walked through the Gothic quarters of Barcelona, we came upon Catalan dancing outside a church. We had no idea they were there until we went up the steps of the church. I love witnessing local traditions and/or activities.


Another wonderful thing about finding this wine in Europe is the price; I believe we pay around $3.99 Euros. Wine and beer are not that expensive in Germany, except when you’re eating out. I searched for Barcelino Criado en Barrica 2010 in the U.S. but I couldn’t find it. Maybe I didn’t search correctly because it would be a shame not to share this with the world.

What have you fallen in love with and just can’t get enough of?

Spain and wine,
Bea

4 comments:

  1. I don't care for wine, but one time when I made paprika chicken (my Hungarian grandma's recipe) my brother brought a Hungarian brand over, and I absolutely loved it. It was very smooth without that bitter aftertaste so many wines have. And I agree, when you familiarize yourself with where local food and drink originates, you're more likely to appreciate it.

    I have plenty o' junk food favorites that I can't get enough of, i.e., Nutella and Hint-of-Lime-Tostido's, but nothing as sophisticated as wine. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have junk food favorites I miss too. Recently, we found Root Beer at a store in Holland, so I introduced my Love and his brother to a Root Beer float. We had an A&W where we lived.

      I think Americans give wine the sophistication. In Germany, it's just another drink.

      Delete
  2. My one food I can't get enough of would be Tostito's chips :) I just went to Barcelino's website. Since it's a mix of Tempranillo and Garnacha I know I would love it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tostito's are addicting. I LOVE Doritos. I never buy them because I'd consume the bag in one sitting.

      Delete