Thursday, January 16, 2014

Dragons, Stocks, and Presents, Oh My!






Over the Christmas break, I met with a former colleague for lunch. It’s always a pleasure meeting up with this colleague, who is enjoying his retirement. At one point during our lunch conversation, we started talking about stocks. He told me how he began buying and selling stocks as a teenager, and I admitted I didn’t buy my first stock until I began working with our former employer. After I got the hang of buying and selling stocks, I decided to buy a stock that specialized in digital voice software. It was the late 90's, and there wasn’t a lot of competition, so I decided to buy this company’s stock. The stock was around $50 a share in June. Within two months, it rose to about $175 a share.

When I told my former colleague about this stock, he knew exactly what I was talking about because he just bought digital voice software. He asked me if the company name was Nuance, and I started to laugh because that was the company I had bought stock in over a decade ago. (I don’t know if this is the same company, because I couldn’t find matching stock prices on the web.) He stated he just bought the software, and it’s been working great. It takes a while for the software to get to know your voice and writing style, but after working in it, you get used to the dictation and commands. He was very pleased with the software and I told him I’ll have to look into it for my writing.

Yesterday, we went to the post office to pick up a package. To my surprise, the package contained digital voice software with a note from my former colleague stating that he hopes it assists with my writing endeavors. Of course I had to try it out to see how it works. I set up a profile, let it read my documents, and the more I use it, the more it familiarizes itself with my voice. I’m sure the NSA would enjoy this software… if they aren’t using it already. Anyways, I decided to use it for this blog post. I dictated, made corrections, and started understanding some commands.

I’m on my third draft of my novel, Fogged up Fairytale, and I hope to use this software for revisions. It does take some time getting used to, but not that much. I’ve been using it for several hours with only a few problems with voice recognition.

I must extend a huge thanks to my former colleague, who has been a loyal blog reader and supporter of my writing. If it wasn’t for him, and many others who have supported me along the way, I would not have achieved success with my writing. I’m truly grateful for him and his continuous generosity.

If you are interested in digital voice software, you can purchase it on Amazon. The software is called Dragon Naturally Speaking. It’s by Nuance, and is a home edition speech recognition software.

Has there been a software or electronic device you recently purchased that you’d like to share with others?

Stocks and Presents,
Bea

1 comment:

  1. I'm afraid that I'm not a big technology lover (despite needing access to the Internet everyday), but your post reminded me as to why I should invest in stocks at some point in my life. I just don't know how to go about it. :P

    Also it's good to have nice relationships with former colleagues. I quite often call one of mine at least once a month.

    -Barb

    ReplyDelete